All I wanted was a hearty, TANGY, winter-proof soup. Nailed it.
1 cup dried black beans
2 cups dried lentils
4 tomatillos, sliced
2 shallots, sliced
3 cloves garlic
3L vegetable broth
1 tbsp paprika
2 tsp cayenne
2 tsp coriander
- Pour beans and lentils into a large pot with one litre of broth. Bring to a boil, and then simmer until softened.
- In a separate pan, sauté shallots, garlic, and spices until shallots are translucent.
- Add tomatillos, stir, and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add to pot with beans and lentils. Add halves of lime. Add the remainder of the broth.
- Simmer for half an hour, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat, and use an immersion blender to partially blend.
Serve with feta cheese, Greek yoghurt, or with hot sauce.